Could you imagine a world without lights? Don’t you think that electricity if by far the most essential and the craziest discovery by the humans?
Though, in the recent years, we have seen a lot of changes in the lighting industry. In this post, we will be discussing a lot about LED as well as HPS lights. Both of these are heavily used commercially, it would be great for you to know the benefits and cons of each and which one is better for what purpose.
This would be a detailed post on LED vs HPS lights!
LED vs HPS lights Comparision
What is an LED?
An LED is a light emitting diode which works in the principle of electroluminescence. It is a simple p-n junction.
How do LED lights work?
The p-n junction diode works on a simple principle. When the electricity of the electrons is released, they combine with the electron holes. On combining with the electron holes, the energy is released. This energy is nothing but photons which release in the form of visible light energy. This simple concept is also known as electroluminescence.
Benefits of LED light:
- LED lights are very economical and energy saving. You can reduce the electricity cost of your house by nearly 80% by switching to LED lights.
- LED lights do not release heat when switched on.
- They are very robust and durable for a long time sustenance. As compared to the incandescent light bulbs, the LED lights do not burst easily.
- They are bright but they do not scatter around a distance.
- They are used for growing indoor plants. You can know more about it on this website.
- LED lights are mostly used for automobile headlamps and decorations in weddings and parties.
- They can emit a different color’s. This is done by inducing different energy gaps which results in releasing different color lights.
- They do not emit UV or IR rays and if some of them do, it is at a very small scale.
Cons of LED lights:
- They are very expensive.
- They cannot function correctly in high temperatures resulting in frequent blinking and sometimes bursting as well.
- Not good for brooding or heating purpose.
- Manufacturing cost is also more as compared to the incandescent light bulbs.
HPS lights are commonly known as high-pressure sodium lights. They are an advanced form of incandescent light bulbs.
How does it work?
The High-Pressure Sodium lamp consists of a narrow arc. The narrow arc is supported by a frame in the bulb. The arc tube consists of very high pressure to focus on higher efficiency. Sodium, xenon, and mercury are usually used inside the arc tube.
Benefits of HPS light:
- These are also used as growing lights.
- They are more affordable than the LED lights
- They can operate at a higher temperature.
- They release a yellow light which scatters to a distance. This is the main reason why the HPS lights are used as street lamps.
- They release heat as well and so used for brooding eggs in the poultry farms.
- They have a longer life than the conventional incandescent light bulbs but have the lesser life than the LED lights.
Cons of HPS lights:
- They use mercury and thus the disposal of HPS lights is a big issue for the government.
- They could burst if they come in contact with water while switched on.
- They release a lot of heat and thus not good for home usage.
- They are not electricity efficient as the LED lights.
- They release a lot of UV and IR rays which is not good for health in the long run.
I hope that you were able to understand the difference between the two lights. Overall, you should go for the LED lights if you are using it for home and office. The reason being, it will save a lot on your electricity bill and also good for your health as continuous exposure to the LED light is not that harmful as the HPS lights.
On the other hand, you can choose the HPS if you are looking for a cheap lighting option and you do not care much about the electricity bill.
Do share your comments about this post in the comment box below. We would really appreciate a thumbs up and a share of this post with your friends on Facebook as well.